History of CSI
The Church of South India (CSI) is the result of the union of churches of varying traditions Anglican, Methodist, Congregational, Presbyterian, and Reformed. The Church of South India is the second-largest church in India based on the population of members, next to the Roman Catholic Church, and also the largest Protestant denomination in the country. The Church of South India (CSI) is the successor of a number of Protestant denominations in India, including the Church of England, the Methodist Church, and the Church of Scotland after Indian Independence. It came into being by a union of Anglican and Protestant Churches in South India. The CSI was inaugurated on 27 September 1947 at St. George’s Cathedral Chennai. The church has 15,000 local Congregations with more than 4 million members worldwide. While the majority of the members are in India, congregations exist in Sri Lanka, where a full diocese is organized. We also have congregations in the United States, United Kingdom, Australia, Canada, Bahrain, Kuwait, Qatar, Oman, and the United Arab Emirates. Church of South India members are also worshiping in different parts of North India, including Bhopal, New Delhi, Kolkata, Bhilai, Mumbai, and Pune. However, CSI churches in North India are under the respective CNI bishops. CSI churches in Europe are under the respective Anglican Bishops.